Skip to main content

East West North South & me

“I feel Bangalore is a lot better than Chennai.”

I wonder how many Bangaloreans I have fooled with this intelligent rhetoric. Listeners are instantly drawn to believe that I am one of the ‘rare ones’ who understands and stands for the South Indian ‘cause’.

When I came to Bangalore three years back from Delhi, I was desperate and tired of Delhi’s overtly friendly neighborhoods, where folks used verbal abuse as a tactical means of endearment. Tactical because it is sometimes used for exactly what it was invented for…abuse people. Tricky affair if you can’t notice the difference. Unfortunately, my upbringing did not prepare me for such subtleties.

Anyway, the moment I arrived here, I noticed the biases people have about people. Egos were at stake. It was the North Indian South Indian thing. I could notice it more because I am in a lot of ways ‘culture shock’ personified.

Fellow Northis felt the “Aiyo Ramas” were too uncool. They ate tasteless, sour food and boasted of their culinary heritage. The completely incomprehensible languages they spoke did not go in their favor much either. It was difficult to address them because their names often exceeded the word limit CBSE assigns for its exam essays.

Our South Indian Brethren, on the other hand, felt that all North Indian boys are born with in-built two-timing and three timing capability. They had similar take on NI women, only the terms they used got a little more derogatory.

There is a never-ending list of biases which keeps half of the nation apart from the other half.

Obviously, biases are exactly that…biases. But besides that, we could see what the other part of the nation has to offer to us. It offered me …a career. Made me a little more humble, gave me confidence. But most importantly, it gave me friends. Not merely batchmates, classmates, colleagues who turned out to be better acquaintances but genuine friends who probably think almost the same as me… and are there with me in times of distress. I could safely say that I love South India.

The day-to-day diplomacy that I use is like ...being as helpless as a character in a fiction who unwillingly turns into a werewolf and then ... preys. Its addictive when one tastes blood ;) Its not particularly directed against South Indians. Everybody who knows me has to go through this. Those who survive the flattery, word play, cruel satire and get to know me, become friends with me. Either I am a catastrophic enemy or an ultra-amiable friend. You choose.

Comments

Most Viewed

Gumnami...

गर गुमनामी का यूँ इश्तहार न देते हम, तुमसे रूबरू होने की हर गुंजाईश खो बैठते

True worthless answers

We do not know how to not understand. To be able to be in balance with our mysterious surroundings, we attribute everything beyond our comprehension to something that we can live with. When we made up the story of God, we found comfort in mystery and ignorance. By making Him responsible for everything, we seasoned ourselves not to look for answers all the time. The quest being less intense, we get on with our lives…unperturbed. Our forefathers who found religion in the beginning were indeed intelligent. Those who were dumb to fall for god and the like were not capable of finding the answers anyway. The revelation of my religious orientation should have been gradual and less cruel. But I just could not control the urge to dramatically deny what I don’t believe in. There is another theory which perfectly explains practice of religion by the most intelligent and bright people. They probably understand why it is absolutely necessary to be foolishly optimistic of His existence. It appe

Arz kiya hai

गर चाशनीयों में बस्ता है ज़िन्दगी का जायका क्यूँ भला परहेज़ न रखें हम नम्कीन्यों से