Skip to main content

Another confusion


I am elated. This excitement has certainly eluded me for some time. I am going to a temple tomorrow. The last time I found myself kneeling in front of an idol in a temple was on the first day of my 12th board examinations.

The excitement does not emerge from any sudden awakened spirituality within me. On the contrary, it reflects my adventurous inclination towards the atheist culture. I have never been ‘spiritual’ as followers of most religions define it. But I have always been compliant to the family customs which warranted reasonable admiration towards faith and religion.

Although all of my family members are strong believers of faith and religion, I find myself very neutral in these areas. I don’t recall myself ever praying to god thanking him/her of whatever he/she has given me in life. Till the time I was with family and participated in the festivals, I always prayed for ‘more’, when I was asked to pray.

When my family members went abroad for work, they advised me lit incense sticks and pray to god everyday. I have been practising this almost regularly, but with no faith.

In one of the winter mornings during the later years of my schooling days, I was coming back from somewhere. It was foggy and I was driving @ 70kmph on a flyover. Suddenly my bike drifted towards one of the sides of the bridge. I had lost control of the bike because of the speed. Somehow I managed to steer away the direction of the bike back to the main road but was confronted by an enormous truck a meter or two away from the bike. I closed my eyes and twisted the handle of the bike towards the other side of the bridge. After around 10 seconds when I opened my eyes, I found myself riding the bike safely on the bridge. I had left the truck far back. I could not believe my luck.
This was something which made me worship god for a few more years.

I really suffer with immense guilt and fear when I confess that I am an atheist. Guilt because I know I can follow the customs and traditions without creating a fuss and without being overtly philosophical about it. The fear comes from the dilemma that god may exist and all religious ideals might actually be true and that I would waste all my energies in not believing.

I know I am a non – believer but I am not very open about it (even to myself).

Meanwhile the trip to this famous temple may turn the tides either ways. This trip may buy me a fresh lease of faith for some more time by waking any dormant believer within…. or not… But I am certainly looking forward to this trip.

Comments

Most Viewed

Gumnami...

गर गुमनामी का यूँ इश्तहार न देते हम, तुमसे रूबरू होने की हर गुंजाईश खो बैठते

True worthless answers

We do not know how to not understand. To be able to be in balance with our mysterious surroundings, we attribute everything beyond our comprehension to something that we can live with. When we made up the story of God, we found comfort in mystery and ignorance. By making Him responsible for everything, we seasoned ourselves not to look for answers all the time. The quest being less intense, we get on with our lives…unperturbed. Our forefathers who found religion in the beginning were indeed intelligent. Those who were dumb to fall for god and the like were not capable of finding the answers anyway. The revelation of my religious orientation should have been gradual and less cruel. But I just could not control the urge to dramatically deny what I don’t believe in. There is another theory which perfectly explains practice of religion by the most intelligent and bright people. They probably understand why it is absolutely necessary to be foolishly optimistic of His existence. It appe

Arz kiya hai

गर चाशनीयों में बस्ता है ज़िन्दगी का जायका क्यूँ भला परहेज़ न रखें हम नम्कीन्यों से